Thursday, March 17, 2016

"I Never Knew Raine Fell" part 13

We sat in silence for an eternity.  What Raine had proposed was shocking to say the least.  All we could do is sit and stare at one another trying to gauge the other person’s thoughts.  A mother, a priest and a demon sat in a small rectory in the back of an old church trying to comprehend the magnitude of the proposal that had been offered.  A sacrifice like no other, a very affront to the natural order of the cosmos and the supernatural realm.  Was Raine being truthful?  Was this really the only way?
“I’ll do it.”  I whispered in a barely audible almost defeated tone.

“You can’t” Father Grey sat bolt upright in his seat.  “You can’t even consider this.  It is beyond insane.  If this is the only way then I can’t condone this action, even a mothers love has got to have limits.  Do you understand what this proposal would mean for you?  For her?  This is not an act of God or of nature, this action would upset the very balance of all that exists!”
“If this is the way it must be, then is the road I must travel.  I am her mother, her wellness must come before my own.”  I sighed dejectedly. My words sounded good but in reality I was terrified.  I did not want this.  But I was the demon’s mother, I had brought her into this world and all that she had done I could rectify with this act.  My sins could never be washed away but at least by doing this I could stop further tarnish on my soul and hers.

“Is this truly the only way?”  Father Grey said to Raine, looking deep into her eyes searching for signs of deception.

“Yes.”  She said softly.  “A demon I may be, a liar I am not.”  There was such conviction in her statement Father Grey seemed to stop his please and settle back into his chair, thoughtful again.
“How do we go about this?”  Father Grey shook his head slowly unable to accept his participation in this act.

“The method is quite simple, the explanation is not.”  Raine said sitting a little straighter in her seat now more confident that she had our acceptance of the situation.  “I have existed for millennia and in all that time I have never had a soul who gave so much after such horror had been wrought upon her, I have killed her lover, her son, her daughter, yet she protected me with her life, given me refuge and held me in her arms.  If I can give her back her daughter even in death it is a sacrifice I must accept.”

“But it’s not you who will be sacrificed!”  Father Grey exclaimed almost angrily at the demon. 

“As my mother dies, I to will die in a sense.  It is a melding, both will perish and another will take our place.”

“Emily!  You can’t be possibly considering this, this isn’t death you’re facing but obliteration!  You will no longer exist.  No Heaven, no Hell.  Just nothing.”  Father Grey put his head in his hands fighting back tears.

“It is not a matter of wanting to do this, it is not a matter understanding.  I have to do this because killing her is not an option to me.  She may have done horrible things but she is innocent in the end and if I can bring back the innocence she one had then I have done my part in this world and will go to my grave happily.”  I sat back hoping I had sounded convincing.

“Emily.  We’re talking about a sacrifice here, a human sacrifice. We’re talking about your Emily!  You won’t be dead, you will be erased.  Is the gain really worth the cost?”

I looked at my daughter the demon had possessed, she was staring off into space as if in deep thought, her small innocent body seemed so fragile you could almost forget what she was.  I wanted to bring that innocence back.  Maybe there was a larger picture to all of this we were neglecting to see.  If I wanted to save Raine I would have to endure this, and maybe with this sacrifice I could make something right in this world.  I was to be a human sacrifice.  This is not how I saw my life ending.  I hung my head then and wept.

No comments:

Post a Comment