Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Hope





                Do I have hope for this world?  I do not know.  It is a sad suggestion that we are a hopeless species.  I find us so young, we are just emerging from the pool and looking to the heavens for answers.  Should we instead be looking within?  I am haunted by the images I am forced to see, brother killing brother, husband killing wife and so on until the line of misdeeds disappears over the horizon.  What is this world and how have we come to be the dominant species that destroys everything in its wake.  Like a virus.  
                We have such beauty within us, if we could only grasp it.  We have the power of the universe at our fingertips yet we allow greed and anger to rule us.  We make justifications for our evil, we try to convince ourselves it is necessary.  There is no such thing as a necessary evil, it is all evil.  I wonder, will we grow out of our infancy?
                I want to see a world where the driving force isn’t money or power, but curiosity and innovation.  I want to see a world where scientific breakthroughs are heralded not buried.  Where genius is celebrated not violence.  A world where we solve our problems through discussion not fists.  Is this world a fools dream?  Is hope a fools dream?
                My hope is that this is just a phase.  The birth pains of an emerging society on the road to peace.  All I see in history is repetition, we can read the history but we do not learn from it.  Why?  I hope that one day we look back on this time with disgust, that in this distant future we care for our fellow man.  We feed the poor not exploit them.
                These thoughts are a jumbled mess, but is that not the world we live in?  A quagmire of nonsense strung together by our justifications?  I have to ask myself each day, what are my justification for the things I do?  We have to justify everything so we do not go insane with guilt.  If we stop for just one moment and think about the things we have done without justifying it I think we would understand how truly ugly we can be.  There is no justification for an ugly deed, once we can comprehend that, learn from that, we can move on to the next step in our evolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment