Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Life and Death



Life is so fragile, so precious.  We take for granted the time we have with the ones we love and it is not until they are gone that we truly realize how much time we have wasted.  We live, we die.  Such a strange life it is.

Why do we live? What is the purpose of this thing?  Are we just self-replicating life forms whose only reason for being alive is a random coincidence?  Can we really accept that all we are is just the luck of the draw in a universe filled with random acts?  Or is there a purpose to it?  Is there a reason we exist?   I have a hard time believing and I hope you do as well that this all random and coincidental. 

I think to some the idea that we go to our rest and there is no debt or reward after this life can be comforting.  To others this notion can be terrifying.  The thought of just blinking out of existence can be horrifying.  I must confess that in a point in my life the thought of just ceasing to exist was not a thought I could bear to have enter my mind.

We all experience our own mortality at some point in our life, whether it is in childhood or adulthood at some point we have the epiphany that we are going to die and there is no avoiding it, this realization affects the remainder of our life and helps shape the person we are and the person we will become.  Many times it is not until we are confronted directly with death by the passing of a dear relative, a husband or wife, a sister or brother, that we truly understand the finality of the thing that is death.


Recently my sister lost her husband.  I cannot imagine the grief and powerlessness she must be feeling right now.  It is an experience we all my face at some point.  It is the human condition in life that we must experience loss. Whether it come early or late it is an experience that none of us wants but one we all must endure.  When it is my turn I only hope I have enough courage and strength to make it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment