Sunday, September 13, 2015

I Never Knew Raine Fell part 4


I was stunned by what came out of his mouth next.  “I don't think there's anything wrong with your daughter per say.  It’s my belief that she's just operating within her nature.”


“I don't understand.”  I said meekly not sure I wanted to hear the rest of his opinion on my daughter.

“Well I know this may sound far fetched but seeing as how you have witnessed some rather gruesome stuff already I think it is within the realm of possibility that what i’m about to say next will not seem as insane to you as it would sound to a normal everyday person.”

I wasn't sure if I should have taken that as a compliment or not.
“Okay.”  he paused for a moment to gather his thoughts.  “Again this is going to sound insane, but it is my belief that what we’re seeing here is the manifestation of a true and utter demon.”
“What?”  I said in disbelief anger beginning to show behind my eyes.  “Yes. my daughter may be a monster but she is not some demon from hell.”
“The last thing I want to do is to offend you Emily, but the signs are all there and I think in your heart you know there is truth to what I’m saying here.” He sighed slightly, fidgeted in his seat then in a gesture of empathy put his hand softly on my shoulder making me shiver slightly from the gesture of kindness I had not recently been granted by the police or the community as a whole.  “There is something about your daughter that is far from normal, you see this, I see this, everyone sees this.  The question you have to then logically ask yourself is, Is this normal behavior for a child.  Asking this question a logical mind would then arrive at the conclusion that this is not only abnormal for a child of her age but beyond what a child of her age is capable of doing, she obviously had knowledge far beyond her years.”  
He then paused to let me mull this over in my mind for awhile.  I stared at my daughter on the monitor, she was sitting there motionless as if in another world, it was as if she were not there.  A machine that had been switched off for the moment until called upon to take action.  What he said was true.  Even if I could not believe what he was saying I knew it to be true in my heart.  This was not a human child.  This was a demon.

Father Grey sensed this and continued with his explanation.   “See the job of a demon is to tempt a soul to commit grievous misdeeds and then to send them to Hell.”  Everything your daughter has done have been the actions of an entity just doing what its instincts tell it to do, tempt and kill the evil souls.”

“Then why kill my husband and son, why?”  I said beginning to tear up.  “They were wonderful people, there was no evil or malice there.”
“Yes I know and this is where things get prickly.  A demon will blend in as best it can and attempt to hide its deeds from the populace so it will not be stopped from feeding its need to kill evil souls but if discovered it will do anything to evade capture, the fight or flight mode takes over like any animal and if someone gets in their way. Well.”  He lowered his head. “You saw for yourself what happens.”
“Why does she just sit there now?  She hasn't moved in days or even eaten, they told me they are ready to forcibly insert a feeding tube to keep her from starving.”
“I would, and have advised the hospital staff from forcing anything on her.  She will do irreparable harm to herself if she thinks she is being forced to capitulate to anyone,  the demon has been captured so now it will go into hibernation until an opportunity to strike presents itself.  I know it seems cruel but the only way to keep her alive is to let her starve.  Eventually hunger will win out and the beast will eat with a voracious appetite.”
Father Grey sounded so confident in his tone that I felt no need to ask a follow up question, looking again at the image of my daughter on the screen I could see that he was right.  She sat there still, motionless, staring into nothingness, but you could see her muscles were not relaxed she looked similar to a coiled snake prepared to strike.  My child was a viper waiting patiently for her prey.  The biggest question that remained in my mind still, was.  “Was she ever mine?  Was she ever the happy bubbling lovable child I knew?”  I hadn’t realized I had spoken that out loud until father Grey responded.
“She was at one point, and could have remained so if not triggered by something.  There was something that she experienced in her life that awoke the demon,  there was something that happened that a mind of a preteen girl could not understand or cope with and so the demon that slept inside awoke and took over.”
“But is she still in there somewhere?”  I sounded as though I were begging him.  “Can we get her back?  Can we bring back Raine?”
Father Grey then looked at me with solemn eyes.  “This may sound like a pun or play on words and I do apologize but the best words I can think of are this.  I have never known rain to fall toward heaven only away.”

No comments:

Post a Comment