Monday, September 21, 2015

Jack Isgar: I Never Knew Raine Fell part 6

I awoke to the ringing of the phone,  I thought I had unplugged the house phone to keep the incessant questions of reporters at bay.  I would get between fifteen and twenty calls an hour at one point before I couldn't take it any more and ripped the phone right out of the wall.  It took a moment to realize it was my cellphone I had forgotten to turn off when I had collapsed naked in bed.
“Hello?” I said meekly trying to pull myself awake.
“Emily!”  It was the voice of Father Grey, the urgency in his tone was enough to pull me to full attention.
“Yes Father?” I said.
“She’s gone, I don't know how, but the camera flickered for a moment and she was gone!  The hospital is on lockdown.  Be careful she may be coming home.  We have police on the way to your home now.  If she shows up try and stall her until they arrive.
I hung up the phone before anything else could be said.  I jumped out of bed and pulled my clothes on.  If she had truly escaped and made it home it could be a dangerous situation I could not be prepared for.  There is  no way I could handle this monster alone.  
As I moved from my room down the stairs I crept with cat like stealth trying desperately to make as little noise as possible, If she had somehow managed to get back here and into the house I didn't want her to surprise me and have me at a disadvantage.  I made it to the kitchen straining my ears to hear anything that might indicate I was not alone in the house.  I grabbed a knife out of the drawer and moved to the front door to check the locks and windows.  Even armed with a knife I felt terribly exposed and fearful.  How had she gotten out?  What was she?  If Father Grey was right my daughter’s mere existence would upset the spiritual consciousness of the world.  She was making no effort to hide herself or what she was from people now.  Was she just the beginning of more to come?  Was she the first in a wave of demons that would soon be walking the earth?  Would the good be safe from them or would they just go after anyone, like feral animals?
The door was still locked and the windows were intact.  I sighed in relief.  I could now hear the sirens in the distance of the approaching police cars,  I was safe.
I almost didn't hear it.  The noise was barely audible but distinct, the sound  of a blade scraping across metal.  My heartbeat jumped and sweat began to bead on my forehead as tears of fear began to well in my eyes.  She was here.  Behind me.  I closed my eyes, i didn't want to turn around.  I knew she was there. What to do?  Protection was still minutes away and she was here now.  I was dead. I could feel it in my heart, that sinking feeling you get when hope is lost and you have no control over what's about to happen next.  My daughter the demon was here, a blade in hand standing behind me.
I stood frozen at the front door. I could hear the sound of her feet approaching me, the almost inaudible sound a child can only make when moving across a carpeted floor.  She was moving toward me, I could not run, I could only turn and face my daughter.  It was a jarring sight, her 4’9 frame was swaying slightly back and forth in her demonic stance,  it was as if she were a zombie from a movie.  There, but not there.  her arms were relaxed at her side, the blade she had used to kill the pedophile in the basement held firmly in her left hand ready to strike.  her eyes were a bloodshot red, puffy with stress and lack of sleep.  Although the demon was in control the stresses on the human body of this child were all too evident.  She wasn’t looking at me.  She was focused on the ground.  She didn’t speak just stood there, my fear was all too great.  I didn't know what to do.  The knife dropped from her hand with a silent thud on the floor and before I knew what was happening she threw her arms around me and began to cry.  A child seeking comfort in her mother.  Instinctively I put my arms around this evil child.  What was I to do.  The sirens were outside the door now, armed men approaching.  What was I to do?
End part 6

No comments:

Post a Comment