Monday, September 14, 2015

I Never Knew Raine Fell part 5



That night I lay in bed in the house of horrors my bed just feet over the carnage.  I had to step over blood stains set into the carpet just to get to my bed that once two people lay in, a deep embrace that conceived a demon.  I let the words of Father Grey play again and again in my mind.  I sat in a chair in my mind's eye as I lay in my bed  watching the cinema of memory play over and over again.  In the weeks since this nightmare had begun the numbness I felt had not waned.  I wondered if it would ever subside or would it go with me through my life, a constant unwanted companion following me forever beyond the grave.  I was the mother of the demon spawn.  I was the mother of evil incarnate and I had allowed that evil into the world.  Was it my fault?  Was I to believe the media?  I do not know.  I was forever lost.
I pulled the soft silken sheets around my body, I had entered the room and let my clothes fall to the floor my nudity a sense of freedom from the confining clothing I was expected to wear.  I just wanted to melt into the bed, to forget, just for a little while.  Maybe when I awoke all would be as it had been.
My daughter had not moved despite hours of my watchful vigilance.  It was very disturbing to see her sitting on the side of her bed not moving, not blinking.  Each meal that was left for her by the staff sat uneaten until removed.  A psychiatrist had gone into to attempt to talk to her.  That had not gone well.  He tried multiple techniques to try and coax her out of her trance but to no avail.  He had eventually made the mistake of getting to close to try and examine her.  He had to be removed from the room on a stretcher blood pouring from a gash on his neck where she had sunk her teeth.  She had moved in a moment, before he could blink she was upon him.  The scream he made was inhuman, the growling she emanated was haunting.  After that no one was allowed in the room without security and while in the room no one was allowed within five feet of her.  They had attempted to examine her by sedating her, that did not work either.  Nothing they tried had the power to sedate her, at one point she even laughed.  Her statuesque demeanor interrupted for a moment as she let out a demented chuckle.  A very unnerving noise, especially coming from a child.
All the while Father Grey watched the events unfold with avid curiosity. He had warned the hospital staff with my permission about the behavior they would face but they had laughed him off, they could not conceive of a child that could attack with such ferocity and violence.  I could tell it took great effort for him to suppress a smile when Raine had attacked the doctor.  I could sense it wasn't a smile of satisfaction but a smile of knowledge that now his words would be heeded by the staff.  By the end of that day Father Grey had the staff and the doctors eating out of his hand.  he was able to explain in masterful detail  Raine’s motivations and he was able to predict her behavior.  When the doctor made a call to the Vatican at the behest of Father Grey, he had come back face pale as though knowledge to big for a mere man had been passed on.  After that Father Grey and him had engaged in deep conversation about the philosophical implications of this experience.  I tuned out after a few minutes because I did not have the educational background to even begin to understand what they were talking about.
It had been my understanding that Father Grey was a Lutheran Minister, it amazed me that he would carry so much weight and respect with the Catholic church.  It was later revealed in the conversations between Father Grey and the doctor that he had studied at the Vatican and gotten to know many of the upper echelon of the archdiocese and in doing so had made many lasting friendships he could call upon when needed.
I wished when I awoke this would all be over.


End part 5

No comments:

Post a Comment