Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Man in the Wood part 1

Today I happened upon a man in the wood. He sat upon a stump, pipe in hand.  I asked him as to his business and he replied.  "My business is that of the wood, and you have trespassed in my realm."  He then jumped down from the stump.   He was a pile of a man short and fat with big red cheeks reminiscent of constant inebriation and a grey greasy beard that hung down to his belly.  "I am the keeper of the crossroads, you cannot pass without paying the toll."  To him I said. "I see no crossroad in this wood, no trail and no sign, how was I to know I was trespassing." To me he replied. This road is as old as time, all who live know the road of Bimini!" 

"Bimini?" I said aghast as the little man looked upon me with intense amusement and curiosity. "That road is a legend, a tale from mothers to their children whispered by the bedside at night in front of the glow of a warm fire.  Bimini does not exist!"  "It does!" the tiny man replied. "Your feet are treading the path at this moment."

I know not my exact emotions at that point, I only knew this realm I had wandered into was not a part of my world.  I took a moment to take in my surroundings, upon my stumbling through the wood I had not noticed how the forest had changed. There was now an ethereal glow to all plants large and small almost non-existent but there if one were to take notice. The greens seemed greener and more alive, the purples and reds and blues of the forest an the sky almost breathed with life.  Life I had never seen before, a life humans could not perceive, and interconnections that our species had lost or abandoned its link to.

I could here the sounds of the as if for the first time, there was a sweet scent on the wind blowing gently through the trees and the rays of the sun danced through the branches laying warming streaks across my skin.  It was a world unlike any other, I had stumbled upon the road of Bimini and although belief had left me acceptance engulfed me.  It was a feeling as though something instilled in each of our species from birth, the acceptance of this mythical place.

The fat little man had again perched himself on the stump amused at my daydream, as my mind listed lazily.  "Ahh!  Now you see my friend." He said.  "The world is not as it seems, it is sad how disconnected your species has become from the very thing that gave you life.  The mother of the earth has cut the umbilical cord and left you to fend for yourselves, bust every so often one of you stumbles upon the path of Bimini and I must confront the trespass."

I snapped back to my senses as the little man jumped from the decayed stump to approach me setting myself immediately on my guard.  "Trespass?" I questioned him.  "I had no idea, surely the punishment for such a crime will befit my ignorance.  I am truly sorry for my indiscretion." I said this with all the sincerity I could must in hopes this little creature would take pity on my unintended actions.

"Is it mercy your lookin' for my friend?  I am saddened to inform you mercy is not something I can grant for such a trespass."  And with that remark he reached his gnarled and calloused hand upon me and all grew dark.

End Part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment