Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Man in the Wood part 2



I awoke cloaked in darkness so deep it wrapped about me like a wet blanket in the dankest cave.  I took a moment to gain my senses, I found my arms were not bound and my legs were free to move yet when I attempted to stand I found I could not sit up more than a few inches before my head hit cold wet stone.  It knocked my back down upon my back.  It took another moment for me to attempt moving again.  This time I used my hands and legs in an attempt to feel about my surroundings.  I reached to my left and right, both hands were met with stone resistance.  I reached above my head and was met with the same resistance.  My feet however touched no resistance and I found I was able to move by scooting my body.  I couldn’t turn around the prison in which I was confined was too narrow but slowly I was able to work myself along wherever it was I was trapped.

I moved along at an agonizingly slow pace, I met no resistance along the way but I could tell by the pain in my back that I was scraping the tender skin bloody and raw.  The stone I was inching along was anything but smooth.  I found a strength within myself I didn’t know I had and it pushed me to keep moving.  The will to survive is strong in a person when presented with a dire situation.

I moved unending and at one point I thought I would never reach the end.  “How had they even gotten me in here?”  I thought trying to keep my mind working.  At last I could feel a slight drop at the bottom of my feet.  I had reached an opening, I moved quicker trying to get myself free ignoring the scathing pain that had spread all across my back.  Finally I dropped from my prison onto a cool floor.  It was still pitch black and I could see nothing.

“Hello?”  My voice echoed around what I could only guess was a cavernous room.  I strained my ears to hear for any other sound than that of my own heartbeat but was met with only the sound of dripping water that anyone who was familiar with spelunking might hear.  I tried to gather myself.  I had free myself from a confined space but I knew this ordeal was far from over.  The little stump of a man had touched me and all had been dark.  “He brought me here? How?”  I thought.

I began to move forward away as far as I could tell from where I had been stowed away.  I decided it was best to crawl on my hands and knees so there would be less chance of deadly surprises like pitfalls or spikes.  I had to laugh inwardly at this thought, I never thought in this day and age I could be in such a situation I would have to keep aware of traps.  This was the 21st century and here I was abducted and thrown into a cubby in a cave.  I had heard the about the road of Bimini growing up but it had always been a legend, a story for kids and conspiracy nuts.  Bimini was the first road trod by man, it is said to span the entire surface of the earth and secretly leads to all cities lost in time.  It was a story like the fountain of youth or Atlantis, but yet I guess I had walked upon the road with no knowledge of what I was doing and am now paying the price.  Under any other circumstance I would be ecstatic and would not be able to wait to tell my friends Bimini was real.  But I took a walk in the wood and now I was fighting for my life for traveling on some supernatural forbidden highway. 

I crept along the cold stone floor feeling ahead for any surprises, I could hear the constant drip of the water and in the quiet I began to hear the scamper of rodents and bugs.  I inwardly prayed they would not find me in the darkness, I was deftly afraid of critters of any kind but my will to survive kept me from seeking safety.  I had to find a way out.  Something began to happen, as I looked at the floor all the sudden I began to be able to steadily make out what I was seeing.  I could see the cracks in the stone and my hands in front of me dirty and wet, they looked shriveled and grey from the damp of this place.  I looked up and in the distance a torch was visible, it looked so far away but it illuminated my surrounding just enough that I could see what lie ahead, it was a tall vaulted room with a solid floor with no traps visible,  I stood ignoring the pain in my knees and began to stumble toward the only light source.  Was it freedom, or death?

End part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment