Friday, October 9, 2015

Man In the Wood part 3


We all too often overlook the mysteries of life and the world as a whole.  We cling to the reality we are presented and turn our backs on the greater questions.  I was agnostic, I could not believe in something's existence without scientific proof but I hoped there was a greater force at work in the universe.  I was a person who firmly believed in the reality I experienced.  But I was about to learn that like quantum physics, reality is in two states ever fluctuating and flowing.  A frame of mind is just that.  It can be changed quite easily when presented a new view of reality.


I moved toward the light source and as my eyes adjusted I was able to take in a better sense of my surroundings.  The huge vaulted ceilings disappeared into the darkness, the chamber I found myself in trailed off into shadow on either side.  I could feel the immensity of the room in which I found myself, it was ancient, the must and mildew invaded my senses.  Every nerve in my body screamed for me to turn and go the other way but like a moth to flame I pressed onward.   Slowly the flame grew bigger as I got closer and I could make out that it was a torch held firmly on a blank wall with a candelabra. The flame danced across the stone wall the flames licking the hard surface leaving streaks of soot along the surface.  I felt the irresistible urge to remove the torch from its fastening and hold it above my head.  It was removed with ease and I raised it above my head feeling for a moment like a character in  a video game.

As i raised it above my head torches began to flicker to life all around me.  A large whooshing sound filled the chamber as they all came to life.  After a few moments the full extent of the chamber I was in came into focus and I was able to get a true understanding of the situation I had found myself in.  As the room came into focus the light danced and played across the walls,  there were dozens of alcoves like the one I had emerged from lining the walls.  Some were filled in, others empty like a honeycomb.  I could not tell who or what had placed me there but around each entrance to an alcove there were multiple claw marks.  I looked away at that point not wanting to try and imagine what else might be lurking down here with me.

I took a moment to gather my wits and began to look for an exit to this place.  It was now a big well lit circular chamber the only exits it seemed were the alcoves you would have to shimmy through.  I was not sure I would want to enter into one of those again.  I may not have been claustrophobic but I was not about to tempt my nerves into a challenge, besides when I was in my alcove it was apparent there was stone blocking all directions but the one I had exited from.  there had to be another way out.  I scanned the walls trying to ignore the terrifying claw marks
that seemed to encompass the entire chamber including the floor, i hope whatever the creature was it would not be aware of my escape.  No matter how hard I looked I could find no exit to this chamber, the only hint of an exit was next to the candleabra I had removed the torch from.  There looked to be vague outline that could have been a door but upon closer examination there was no discernable seem in the stone.  “Just an illusion.”  I thought to myself.  
I wasn't sure what to do at this point,  I had looked at every inch of this chamber I had even mustered the courage to shine a light inside the open alcoves but all that was met was darkness extending up to a dead end, it was clear these holes were for storing living creatures.  Not for food I hoped.  I could not fathom that accidentally stumbling on some supernatural forbidden road would earn me a death sentence.  I had to sit down for a moment and collect my thoughts.  I sat with my legs drawn to my chest, I set the torch next to me on the floor and leaned back against the stone wall beneath the candelabra.  I closed my eyes feeling the cool damp stone on the back of my head.  I was glad the chamber wasn’t cold.  It may be damp and musty but at least it wasn’t to hot or cold, that would have seriously hindered my thinking at this point.  There was enough going on here without having to factor in the elements.  I had to get out of there.  There was enough water running down the walls for hydration but without food it would be a slow agonizing death, this is if the clawed creature didn't decide to dine on me first.

I had drifted off in thought and almost didn't hear the slight scuttering that had begun to emanate in the cavernous chamber.  I slowly opened my eyes, fear began to well in my body.  My heart beat increased and my breathing became more ragged.  i set my eyes upon the noise and was instantly on my feet hugging the wall torch in hand.  the clawed creature had finally made its appearance, but from where I could not tell.  It was huge, easily three times my size with several long spindly legs that aided its movement around the chamber.  It had a large thorax but a human looking trunk and head.  It was an amalgamation of horror and beauty.  The human part had long flowing golden hair and pure brown skin that blended into the spider like body perfectly.  She had no top and her sheer breasts swung free in her movement but no nipples decorated them.  It was a strange creature.  I was pressed against the wall hoping she would not notice  me which in hind sight is laughable since I had a torch in hand.

The creature seemed not to notice me as she went about her work, she moved effortlessly from one alcove to the next her long arms slipping into each open hole as if feeling for life.  When she reached mine she paused for a moment feeling for me.  She knew I was gone.  She must have been what put me in that death chamber.  For a full minute after removing her arms she just sat there as if in thought.  Then she turned and looked right at where I was cowering in fear.  I could see her eyes now, a deep black with no discernible detail.  She began to move toward me her arms appeared to be reaching for me.  Slowly as if willing caution she began to approach me. I pushed myself harder against the wall, she was so close now I could see myself reflected in those black eyes.

At the moment I thought she would be upon me and I could retreat nowhere I felt the wall begin to soften against my back and I began to feel as if I were falling slowly through thick molasses.  I opened my eyes just in time to see the spider woman reaching for me before I was swallowed by the stone torch and all.  I kept moving back I wasn't sure what was happening but anything had to be better at this point than facing that terrifying creature I had escaped.  

A moment later I was free. I was again staring at a stone wall as if i were still in the chamber.  But I could feel a breeze gently passing over my skin with a sweet scent of jasmine and lavender.  I slowly turned hoping upon hopes that I was back in the forest.  I wasn’t.  What I now found myself staring at was a far cry from the tomb I had awoken in.  I looked around in wonderment. I was standing on a cliff.  In front of me was an elegantly carved wooden staircase that led to a valley below.  The sun hung low in the sky, night was falling.  The sky was a deep orange with a tinge of blue at the edges. What I now beheld was a sight of pure wonder.  A city spread before my eyes the like no human has ever laid their eyes on before.  It looked like shimmering gold in the setting sun.  I marveled not wanting to wake from this sight that had intruded with delight upon my nightmare.

A voice I heard while staring into the distance.  Familiar.

end part 3


No comments:

Post a Comment